Welcome to Xcake:labs.
Xcake:labs has grown out of a need for iOS developer and designer attendees of the Dublin Xcake sessions to share code and other expertise in a setting that's not primarily talk-driven. Founded in July 2012, Xcake:labs has already...well, we've just started, actually, and we're looking for lab suggestions, lab requests and lab leaders.
An Xcake:lab is a hands-on coding or designing session, trimmed to size for a handy 2 or 3 hour time slot. Minimal slideware in support of the code is worthy, full presentations are not: we aim to reduce multicast talk and instead foster a more active learning environment.
We'll aim to make as much as possible, in terms of code and examples, available here under a permissive open source license, but there may be instances where that's not going to work. It is the consideration of the author of the work to apply the license, after all.
Twitter is the best place to find the latest news - follow @Xcakelabs. Feel free to ask for labs on topics that are of interest to you, and volunteer to give labs on topics you know well.
All of our labs take place at the Science Gallery, Dublin's top venue for science discovery. We kick off at 6.15pm, finish at 8pm, then decamp for a frosty beverage at O'Neill's Bar on Pearse St.
Don't forget that we do lovely, entertaining and informative talks every second month too: Xcake:blabs
- Lab #5: Build better cross platform apps with Titanium - by @simonrand on May 14 2013 6.15pm
We will be operating at the Science Gallery as usual, in the Paccar Theatre for this event. Come early and check out the curernt RISK LAB exhibition. We're attempting to book some BONUS CONTENT for this lab too, so fingers crossed!
Once again we are taking free sign-ups for the event, using the salubrious Tito - Sign Up Here!
- Lab #4: Дpp LoçałizaтïØn: Tяicks and Tips ヅ - by @ogreswamp on March 12 2013.
Also, this time around we are taking sign-ups for the event, using the salubrious Tito - Sign Up Here!
- Lab #3: Creating Custom Tiled Map Overlays - by @liamdunne on January 8 2013.
- Lab #2: iOS Networking Done Right! - by @roland9 on November 13 2012 (photos)
BONUS CONTENT! With this lab you also received demo of the latest remarkable works of Redwind Software presented by the inimitable @ConorWinders, and a demo of the upcoming UseTokens service from @padraig and @prendio2 - a ONE BILLION DOLLAR VALUE!
- Lab #1: Core Data with Magical Record, including library management using Cocoapods - by @dglancy on September 11 2012.
Lab Requests and Suggestions
- Collecting User Feedback in-App with Converser @oisin
- What's up with Parse.com - using Parse APIs in your App - @dglancy
- RestKit for Fun and Profit - @bkenny
- Awesome Forms and Data Entry - getting keyboards, orientation and validation all lined up
- Make Your Own Backend - Easy JSON Services and Hosting